Tel: 704-998-2243 | Fax: 704-376-1628
Download vCard | Download Bio
Steve is the group leader for the Corporate practice group at Johnston, Allison & Hord. His practice focuses on the representation of for-profit and nonprofit organizations. He advises clients regarding choice of entity, business structures, nonprofit structures, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, sales, transactions, compliance and governance matters. Steve is an active member of Meritas, a global alliance of lawyers and law firms including Johnston, Allison & Hord.
- Board and Governance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Law
- Nonprofit Entities & Tax-Exempt Organizations
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., 1991)
- Georgetown University (B.S., Foreign Service, magna cum laude, 1988)
- Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan (1986-1987)
- North Carolina, 1991
- Served as lead counsel to board of nonprofit tax-exempt health system.
- Served as lead counsel to a nonprofit multi-state trade association and advised regarding corporate board governance, policies, compliance matters and restructuring.
- Served as lead counsel to nonprofit tax-exempt religious organization to address governance, relationships, structures, policies and procedures among the religious organization and over 50 nonprofit charitable organizations and enterprises located in 16 different states, the U.S. Territory of Guam and Jamaica.
- Served as lead counsel to nonprofit tax-exempt religious organization to restructure joint venture which owned and operated a licensed assisted living and skilled nursing facility and to restructure similar operations in multiple locations.
- Served as lead counsel for several self-insurance programs to plan, negotiate and implement loss portfolio transfer and assumption reinsurance transactions with commercial insurance companies.
- Served as lead counsel in representation of owners in $280+ million sale of 60 unit regional convenience store chain and fuel distribution business to public company in sale/leaseback transaction with public REIT.
- Assisted lead counsel in representation of owners in $35 million sale of 70 unit regional department store chain to public company.
- Served as lead counsel in national developer's (public company) acquisition of a regional builder including 37 finished lots and 170+ acres in multiple phases of three subdivisions, three option contracts for over 560 acres (two of which involved a public company), entitlements, model homes, development fees, royalties and related assets.
- Served as lead counsel in representation of several publicly traded national developers in land acquisition, sale and development matters.
- Served as lead counsel for closely-held distributor of office supplies, furniture and equipment supplier in transactional and contract matters.
- Represented owners, developers and investors in real estate acquisitions, construction, dispositions, financing, 1031 exchanges, shopping center, outparcel, mixed use and residential development, commercial leases and sale/leaseback transactions.
- Represented self-insurance funds, farmers mutual insurance company, agents, managing general agents and third party administrators in regulatory matters, contract matters, reorganizations, acquisitions and dispositions.
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA recognized attorney for Corporate/M&A (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America - Real Estate Law (2013) and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2016-2017)
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker to nonprofit organizations regarding application of the employer mandate control group rules under the Affordable Healthcare Act (2014)
- Presentation to Association of Corporate Counsel’s Annual meeting entitled “Contracts and Negotiations - Time Is of the Essence: Essential Terms and Common Errors” October 2013
- Presentation to SERC Reliability Company entitled “Fiduciary Duties of Nonprofit Corporation Directors” March 2013
- Meritas Law Firms Worldwide
- Member Liaison to Meritas Client Advisory Board (2013 - 2014)
- Current Lead Member Advisor to Young Lawyer Liaison Program (2013-present)
- Vice Chair (2011 - 2013)
- Executive Committee (2011 - 2013)
- Chair, Board of Directors Nominating Committee (2013)
- Chair, Member Relation & Marketing Committee (2011-2012)
- Board of Directors (2010 - 2013)
- Member, Business Development Committee (2009-2011)
- Member, Finance Committee (2007-2009)
- Participant and Chair, Leadership Institute (2006-2007)
- Member Liaison/Mentor of Leadership Institute (2007 -2011)
- Past Member, Board of Directors of the Well of Mercy
- Chair (2009 - 2011)
- Member (2006 - 2009)
- Member, Finance Committee at St. Gabriel Catholic Church
- Past Committee Member of Mecklenburg County Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Volunteer coach for youth sports
* CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.