Tel: 704-998-2218 | Fax: 704-376-1628
Download vCard | Download Bio
Marty White specializes in complex litigation. Additionally, he serves on the firm’s Management Committee and as co-chair of the Litigation Group. Business North Carolina magazine has repeatedly recognized Marty as a “Legal Elite” in North Carolina and, since 2014, Marty has been named one of the Top 25 Attorneys in Charlotte and Top 100 Attorneys in North Carolina by Super Lawyers magazine. Marty represents companies in all manner of business disputes, including commercial construction defect matters, class actions, condemnation cases, contract disputes and business torts. He has substantial arbitration experience and is a Certified Superior Court Mediator. Marty also represents select motorsports talent as well as individuals with fiduciary disputes, including will caveats.
- Complex Litigation
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Condemnation & Land Use
- Business and Contract Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Condemnation and Eminent Domain
- Real Estate
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D. with Honors, 1996)
- Naval Justice School, Honors Graduate (1996)
- Gardner-Webb University (B.A. summa cum laude,1993)
- United States Supreme Court
- North Carolina, 1996
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- All Federal and State Courts in NC
- Statewide defense counsel for one of the country’s largest manufacturer of building and paper products in multiple individual plaintiff and punitive class action cases where plaintiffs alleged claims grounded in strict liability, negligence, warranty and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Lead counsel in jury trial resulting in unanimous verdict setting aside will obtained as a result of undue influence.
- Lead counsel in condemnation lawsuit against the North Carolina Department of Transportation resulting in six-figure recovery for client.
- Won unanimous decision from the North Carolina Court of Appeals for international building products manufacturer in case reported at 697 S.E.2d 439 (2010).
- Lead counsel for local manufacturing company in international litigation against Taiwanese machine supplier resulting in significant recovery.
- Won unanimous decision for commercial real estate developer from the North Carolina Court of Appeals and argued before the Supreme Court of North Carolina, in the cases reported at 658 S.E.2d 924 and 658 S.E.2d 929 (2008).
- Lead counsel in case of first impression before the North Carolina Court of Appeals involving unilateral relocation of easements reported at 667 S.E.2d 324 (2008).
- Lead counsel in landmark case before the North Carolina Court of Appeals involving the validity of perpetual trusts and North Carolina’s Rule Against Perpetuities in case reported at 688 S.E.2d 752 (2010).
- Lead counsel in successful jury trial defense of stock option claims brought by former employee.
- Lead counsel in arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) involving infringement of trade secrets and intellectual property resulting in significant recovery.
- Negotiation of numerous Driving Services Contracts for NASCAR drivers.
- Represented clients before all federal and state courts in North Carolina, North Carolina Industrial Commission, Office of Administrative Hearings, North Carolina Building Code Council, and American Arbitration Association.
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Top 25 Attorneys in Charlotte (2015-16)
- Top 100 Attorneys in North Carolina (2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America - Commercial Litigation (2016-2017)
- Legal Elite in Construction Litigation, Business North Carolina magazine (2011-2016)
- Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2016)
- Rising Star in Construction Litigation, Super Lawyers magazine (2009)
- Distinguished Rotarian Award, Charlotte West Rotary Club (2012)
- Lieutenant, Navy JAG Corps (1996 – 2000)
- Navy Commendation Medal and Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Gardner-Webb University Young Alumnus of the Year (1999)
- Holderness Moot Court, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, MCB CLE “All Star Trial Advocacy,” October 21, 2016
- Speaker, MCB CLE "Negotiation Skills & Effective Advocacy During Mediations and Arbitrations", June 13, 2013
- Multiple presentations on 2013 revisions to North Carolina's mechanics' lein statute
- Lien and Bond Law for Subcontractors, CAGC
- The Construction Business Academy, “The General Contractor’s Ultimate Worker’s Compensation Pitfall,” CAGC
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Meritas, Litigation Section Steering Committee
- American Inns of Court, Justice William Bobbitt Inn of Court
- Rotary International
- Chair, Charlotte Christian School Board of Trustees
- Chair-Elect, Charlotte City Club Board of Governors
- Past President, Charlotte West Rotary Club
- Co-Chair, Mecklenburg County Bar Judicial Nominating Committee
- UNC Law Alumni Association Scholarship Golf Classic Committee
- Covenant Presbyterian Church
* CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.