Tel: 704-998-2227 | Fax: 704-376-1628
Download vCard | Download Bio
John has been with the Firm since 1991. He serves as counselor and business advisor to national, regional and local real estate developers and owners; retail, office and industrial landlords and tenants; financial institutions; health care institutions; and closely held businesses, partnerships and other organizations. His practice includes handling the entire “life-cycle” of real estate transactions as well as representing real estate developers in conjunction with repeat acquisition/development “programs” for national and regional retail operators. He also has a special concentration in natural gas well acquisition, development, financing and leasing and the structuring and drafting of joint ventured limited liability companies and similar entities. John routinely works with other Johnston, Allison & Hord attorneys in the Financial Services, Corporate and Tax/Estate Practice areas to assist clients with their needs.
- Commercial Real Estate
- Contract Negotiation and Drafting
- Financing (Construction, Mezzanine and Permanent Financing)
- 1031 Exchanges
- Joint Ventures
- Developer, Buyer and Seller Representation
- Lease Negotiation and Drafting (Landlord and Tenant)
- Title, Survey and Due Diligence Revises
- Drafting Restrictive Covenants, REA’s, Easements and similar documents
- Anchor Tenant Leasing
- Natural gas well acquisition, development, leasing and financing
- Corporate Representation
- Florida State University (J.D., with high honors, 1991)
- University of Florida (B.S., Finance, with honors, 1988)
- North Carolina, 1991
- Represented largest developer of national drug store chain in development of 100+ drug stores/shopping centers in Southeastern United States.
- Represented developer in acquisition, financing, development (including lease negotiations and construction) and sale of over 75 retail shopping center projects totaling over $750 million.
- Served as lead counsel in $125 million+ sale of 25-theatre movie chain (theatres located in 4 states) to national movie theatre company.
- Served as lead counsel in acquisition of partial interest of $200 million+ real estate holding company.
- Represented natural gas well developer/operator in all aspects of negotiations, contracting and acquisition of 150+ wells in Kentucky.
- Served as corporate counsel to natural gas well developer/operator in $60 million acquisition of natural gas well operating company.
- Served as lead counsel on numerous joint venture arrangements ranging is asset value from $5 million to $50 million+ for national real estate developer.
- Served as directors and shareholders counsel in $90 million+ merger of international valve manufacturing business to Netherlands based conglomerate.
- Co-managed three law firm legal teams (as plaintiffs) in successful settlement of $144 million lawsuit involving 20 commercial real estate projects.
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Business North Carolina “Legal Elite” (Real Estate 2012, 2016)
- Member, North Carolina State Bar
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Council of Shopping Center
- Director and Member of Finance Committee, Marsh Realty Company (1996 – Present)
- Director and Member of Finance Committee, Marsh Mortgage Company (1996 – Present)
- Director and Member of Finance Committee, Marsh Associates, Inc. (1996 – Present)
- Member, Carmel Country Club Golf Committee (2013)
- Member, Carmel Country Club Junior Golf Committee (2008 – Present)
- Past Member (Vice-Chair), Dowd YMCA Facilities Development Committee (1997 – 2006)
- Past Member, Carmel Country Club Finance Committee (2006 – 2008)
- Coach, Cal Ripken 8 year old Baseball All-Star Team, 2006 Southeastern United States Championship Game and USSSA World Series Champions
- Coach, youth baseball, basketball, football and soccer (2001 – Present)
* CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc. used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.